Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Introspection on Introversion



In the last couple of days I have begun a book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

Susan Cain writes that introverts have grown a bad rap in the last few decades because of the growing popularity of the extroverted world.  When describing both personality traits many will paint the extrovert in a favorable light but are much less inclined to do so with the introvert (even if the individual interviewed is an introvert!).  Recent books and articles on the truth about the introverted life and it's positive natures, however, have started to turn the tide.  

I'm an introvert.  I actually really love being an introvert.  Ever since realizing I was an introvert (somewhere in college) I have grown to really appreciate this about myself.  Where I was once concerned about my intense desire at times to be alone and read a book for hours, finding that it's simply an aspect of introversion has been incredibly calming and helps me be at peace with myself.  Also, I have secret powers whereas an extroverts are more, well, overt.


My friend showed me this article about introvert myths.  I especially like #10.  


Are you an introvert?  Not sure? Check out this helpful self identifier.


What are your views about introverts?  How do you see yourself if you are one?  





No comments:

Post a Comment